Friday, January 16, 2015

Gladys keen to do better, win women’s title

Gladys keen to do better, win women’s title
Mumbai: Kenya’s Gladys Kipsoi is determined to put behind her second place finish last year and run away with the top honours in the women’s race of the 2015 Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon, which will be flagged off on Sunday, January 18.
“As every year, this year too we have a very competitive group for this edition of Mumbai Marathon. As the sole bread winner of the family, it has been a long and challenging journey for me. Last year I come second in Mumbai Marathon and come Sunday, I would give my best to see myself emerge clear winner, said Kipsoi, who also ended runner-up Toulouse and Lodz Marathons in 2014.
Meanwhile, Kipsoi’s compatriot and the men’s defending champion, Evand Ruto is cautious about his chances. “As a defending champion I’m aware of the fact that all eyes are set on me. And hence have trained to give my all out on Sunday. Mumbai Marathon has always been my best destination to compete and excel. Though last time I missed setting up a new marathon record by a whisker, as half marathon joggers came in between. But this year I’m hopeful that the organisers are doing their best to avoid such a thing,” said the 30-year-old Ruto, a ardent football lover.
Ruto will have to contend with countrymen Henry Sugut, who is making his debut and Luke Kibet if he hopes to retain his title.
Sugut pointed out that he is excited and would give it his best shot to win the gold medal. “For me it’s a first time in India. And I’m really very excited to make my Indian marathon debut with the Mumbai Marathon. As a first timer here, I have taken into account few factors like the route and climatic conditions. And I don’t think there should be any problem. In the past during a race I had to withdraw mid-way due to unknown ailment then.  After withdrawing from a marathon after running almost 25 kms and later going for diagnosis it was revealed that my sugar levels were low. But now all that is a past and I’m raring to go here at Mumbai Marathon.”
Kibet said, “It’s been six-long-years I last ran in Mumbai Marathon. Post-injury in 2007, I have trained myself really hard to perform at the highest level on Sunday. Anything can happen at the finish line, it all matters on how well you are prepared. Though its widely spoken about the battle between Uthopians and Keniyans, but honestly it feels nice to see our countrymen win.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Competitiveness, climate, security Finn’s priorities Ministry of Finance release Finnish road map of EU presidency. Finland i...