Tuesday, April 21, 2015
Report on Register of Members’ Interest of Rajya Sabha MPs
Please find attached the detailed report in English.
ADR and NEW have also written to the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and to the Speaker, Smt. Sumitra Mahajan with an appeal to instate the Register of Members’ Interest in the Lok Sabha. Please find attached the letters with the mail.
Rajya Sabha members are required to mention the following types of pecuniary interests:
1. Remunerative Directorship.
2. Regular Remunerative Activity.
3. Shareholding of a Controlling Nature.
4. Paid Consultancy.
5. Professional Engagement
Recommendations of ADR and NEW:
- A Register of Pecuniary Interests of members of the Lok Sabha should be maintained by the Lok Sabha Secretariat and made available in the public domain.
- There should be a mechanism for thorough scrutiny and verification into the authenticity of the declarations of financial interest made by members on the ‘form’ of pecuniary interest.
- The pecuniary details provided in the Register of Interest should be provided to the Income Tax authorities or other appropriate body for cross-checking with the Income Tax Returns filed by the MPs.
- The business and pecuniary interests of the spouse and dependents should also be declared by the MPs along with their own business interests.
- No field on the form should be left blank.
- On the section for ‘Type of Business’ – The description should be exhaustive to include all kinds of activities undertaken by the business.
- The date of filing the Interest details with the Secretariat should be provided on the form.
On the need for adopting a Register of Members’ Interest in the Lok Sabha, Prof. Jagdeep Chhokar, Founder Member of ADR said that “Disclosure of financial interests by the Rajya Sabha members is encouraging in the public interest. Though the Ethics Committee of the Lok Sabha has recommended adoption of the Register of Interest in the Lok Sabha, but it has not yet been adopted. It will be good if the Lok Sabha adopts it at the earliest”.
Highlights of the reportBased on the declarations in the Register of Members’ Interest made by 211 sitting MPs of Rajya Sabha, 124 (59%) MPs have declared on the form that they have no pecuniary interest/financial interest whatsoever under any of the five mentioned heads and 87 MPs have declared that they have financial interest under the mentioned heads.
Type of declaration
No. of MPs who declared under the head
% of MPs who declared under the head
No. of MPs with no declaration under the head
% of MPs with no declaration under the head
Regular Remunerative Activity
Shareholding of a Controlling Nature
- 22 MPs have declared that they have some financial interest in the form of Remunerative Directorship of a company and 189 (90%) MPs have declared that they have no financial interest under this head.
- The highest amount received from Remunerative Directorship has been declared by Mr. Vijay Mallya (IND, Karnataka) with value of remunerative directorship of Rs 8.81 crores per annum followed by Mr. Rajeev Chandrashekar (IND Karnataka) with Rs. 6 crore per annum worth remunerative directorship and Mr. D. Kupendra Reddy (JD(S), Karnataka) with Rs. 3.24 crores.
Total Remunerative Directorship (per annum)
Rs 8,81,23,4338 crore+
D. Kupendra Reddy
- The maximum number of directorships have been declared by Mr. Vijay Mallya, an Independent MP from Karnataka with 11 remunerative directorships followed by Dr. Ashok S. Ganguly (Nominated) and Mr. Prabhakar Kore (BJP, Karnataka) with 3.
- 23 MPs have declared that they have financial interest in the form of Regular Remunerated Activity and 188 (89%) MPs have no declared financial interests under this head.
- The highest amount received from regular remunerated activity has been declared by Mr. Abhishek Manu Singhvi (INC, Rajasthan) worth Rs. 82.33 crores followed by Dr. Vijay Mallya (IND, Karnataka) with Rs 2.51 crores per annum and Mr. Yalamanchili Satyanarayana Chowdary (TDP, Andhra Pradesh) with Rs. 1.68 crores as annual income from regular remunerative activity.
Shareholding of controlling nature
- 35 MPs have declared that they have financial interest in the form of shareholding of a controlling nature and 176 (83%) MPs have declared that they have no financial interest under this head.
- The highest number of shareholdings of a controlling nature declared in the Register of Interests in companies have been declared by Mr. Dhoot Rajkumar Nandlal (Shiv Sena, Maharashtra) with shares from 31 companies followed by Mr. Kakde Sanjay Dattatraya (IND, Maharashtra) with shares from 30 companies and Mr. Vijay Darda (INC, Maharashtra) with shares from 19 companies.
Value of Shares (Self)
Value of Shares (Spouse and Dependents)
Total Value of Shares
(Self and Spouse and dependents)
Dhoot Rajkumar Nandlal
Rs. 6,76,73,3326 crore+
Kakde Sanjay Dattatraya
- 5 MPs have declared that they have financial interest in the form of Paid Consultancy and 206 (98%) MPs have no declared financial interest under this head.
- The highest value of benefits derived for all paid consultancy has been declared by Dr. Ashok S. Ganguly (Nominated) with Rs. 36 lakhs followed by Mr. K.T.S. Tulsi (Nominated) with Rs. 27.50 lakhs and Mr. Narendra Kumar Kashyap (BSP, Uttar Pradesh) with Rs. 10.53 lakhs.
- 39 MPs have declared that they have financial interest in the form of professional engagement and 172 (82%) MPs have no declared financial interest under this head.
- The highest amount received from professional engagements has been declared by Mr. Sachin Tendulkar (Nominated) with total fees/remuneration received from professional engagements worth Rs 72.79 crores followed by Mr. K.T.S. Tulsi (Nominated) with Rs. 19.13 crores and Mr. Mithun Chakraborty (AITC, West Bengal) with Rs. 16.93 crores.
MPs with high assets and no declaration of pecuniary interest
- 21 MPs with total assets worth more than Rs. 10 crores have declared that they have no pecuniary interests.
- Four MPs with assets more than Rs. 100 crores have declared no pecuniary interests. These MPs are, Mr. T. Subbarami Reddy (INC, Andhra Pradesh) with Rs. 422.44 crores worth total assets followed by Mr. Arun Jaitley (BJP, Gujarat) with Rs. 120.06 crores, Dr. Karan Singh (INC, NCT of Delhi) with Rs. 116.43 crores and Ms. Mayawati (BSP, Uttar Pradesh) with Rs. 111.64 crores worth of total assets.
Movable Asset Declarations as per affidavit submitted to ECI at time of election
Immovable Asset Declarations as per affidavit submitted to ECI at time of election
Total Asset Declarations as per affidavit submitted to ECI at time of election
T Subbarami Reddy
Shri.Arun Maharajkishen Jaitley
Dr. Karan Singh
NCT of Delhi
Media and Journalist Helpline
+91 80103 94248
Maj. Gen. Anil Verma (Retd.)
National Election Watch,
Association for Democratic Reforms
011 4165 4200,
+91 88264 79910
Prof Jagdeep Chhokar
IIM Ahmedabad (Retd.)
National Election Watch, Association for Democratic
+91 99996 20944
Prof Trilochan Sastry
National Election Watch,
Association for Democratic Reforms
+91 94483 53285
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "National Election Watch News" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To post to this group, send email to email@example.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/national-ew-news.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
NAWAZUDDIN PROMOTED “BABUMOSHAI BANDOOKBAAZ” IN DELHI ALONG WITH THE CAST! AUGUST 19, 2017 LEAVE A COMMENT ON NAWAZUDDIN PROMOTED “BABUM...
GOVT RAID ON FISCAL CORRUPTION & TERROR FUND Posted on June 3, 2017 Home Minister Rajnath Singh today assured that government wi...
GOVERNMENT TO REVIVE NORTH KOEL IRRIGATION PROJECT Posted on April 8, 2017 Centre has decided to revive the North Koel Irrigation pr...
“NAKSHE” PORTAL LAUNCHED BY DR. HARSH VARDHAN ON 250TH ANNIVERSARY OF SURVEY OF INDIA Posted on April 10, 2017 “nakshe” Portal lau...