|The President of India has promulgated the Citizenship (Amendment) Ordinance, 2015 on January 06, 2015 with immediate effect which provides for the following amendments to the Indian Citizen Act, 1955:|
• At present one year continuous stay in India is mandatory for Indian Citizenship which is relaxed stating that if the Central Government is satisfied that special circumstances exist, it may, after recording such circumstances in writing, relax the period of twelve months specified upto a maximum of thirty days which may be in different breaks.
• To enable for registration as Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) by a minor, whose parents are Indian Citizens.
• To enable for registration as Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) by a child or a grand-child or a great grandchild of such a citizen.
• To enable for registration as Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) by such spouse of a citizen of India or spouse of an OCI registered under Section 7A and whose marriage has been registered and subsisted for a continuous period of not less than two years immediately preceding the presentation of the application under this section.
• In respect of existing PIO card holders central government may, by notification in Official Gazette, specify a particular date from which all existing PIO card holders will be deemed to be OCI card holders.
The Indian Citizenship Act, 1955 provides for acquisition, termination, deprivation, determination of Indian Citizenship and other related aspects. The Act provides for acquisition of Indian citizenship by birth, descent, registration, naturalization and incorporation of territory under certain circumstances, and also for the termination and deprivation of citizenship.
Wednesday, January 7, 2015
Citizenship (Amendment) Ordinance, 2015 Promulgated
Competitiveness, climate, security Finn’s priorities Ministry of Finance release Finnish road map of EU presidency. Finland i...
The Sagar Daily HEADLINES LEISURE BUSINESS ART & ENTERTAINMENT WORLD SCIENCE ENVIRONMENT #INDIA MORE ...
India suggests EU to resume stalled FTA negotiations June 4, 2016 Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has suggeste...
RBI dip lending rate 25 Basis Points, Amid concerns of a slow down in the economy, RBI its gross domestic product (GDP) forecast to 7 per c...