Thursday, March 7, 2013

IAEA:Yukiya Amano a new four-year term

Posted on
 
UN atomic agency’s board of governors on Wednesday approved giving Japanese director general Yukiya Amano a new four-year term without even resorting to a vote.
Election in  2009, the International Atomic Energy Agency’s 35-member board had needed six rounds of voting to select Amano for his first term, with developing countries worried he would be too pro-Western.
This time however the 65-year-old’s second term, which will start in December following approval from all 159 IAEA members in September  a formality  passed by consensus, meaning no vote was taken.
“I am deeply grateful for the trust that the board of governors placed in me once again,” Amano told reporters.
“The challenges are many and huge . I like my job and enjoy my job, and I am very happy to do good in the world and make a difference.”
The Vienna-based IAEA, founded in 1957, also aims to promote the peaceful uses of nuclear technology including energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Competitiveness, climate, security Finn’s priorities Ministry of Finance release Finnish road map of EU presidency. Finland i...