Sunday, July 8, 2012

Williams sisters win fifth Wimbledon doubles

Serena Williams teamed up with sister Venus to win a fifth Wimbledon women's doubles title, ending a perfect day after she had also claimed a fifth singles crown.

The sisters defeated Czech sixth seeds Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka 7-5 6-4 for their 13 Grand Slam doubles triumph last night.
Earlier, Serena had beaten Poland's Agnieszka Radwanska 6-1 5-7 6-2 to win a fifth singles title at the All England Club, her 14th major overall.
The sisters now have five Wimbledon doubles titles, four Australian Open, two US Open and two French Open doubles triumphs.       
"It was a very long day. I was happy to win the singles and I think it may have been a big letdown if I had lost the doubles," said Serena.
Venus added: "I felt like I played a match already by watching Serena from the box earlier on Sunday.
It's been a great day for all of us. "If anyone knows what it's like to win singles and doubles in the same day, then it's me. It's an amazing feeling. Tomorrow she'll wake up in bed and think 'Oh my god, I'm the Wimbledon champion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Competitiveness, climate, security Finn’s priorities Ministry of Finance release Finnish road map of EU presidency. Finland i...