Sunday, July 22, 2012

INDIAN-AMERICAN TEEN WINS US NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC BEE

Indian-American Rahul Nagvekars won the National Geographic Bee Championship with an educated guess about the Bavarian city that was a legislative seat of the Holy Roman Empire from 1663 to 1806. The 14-year-old from Sugarland, Texas, correctly answered the geography stumper by naming the city Regensburg on the Danube River. Approximately four million students from across the US participated in the competition this year.

Indian Americans swept all the top three positions. As champion, Rahul won a $25,000 scholarship and an all-expense paid trip to the Galapagos Islands. At second place, Vansh Jain of Minocqua, Wisconsin won a $15,000 scholarship, and the third place winner, Varun Mahadevan from Fremont, California won a $10,000 scholarship.

Rahul said he fell in love with geography when his parents gave him a globe at the age of three. "I was not necessarily expecting to win. But at the same time I knew that if I was calm and I focused on everything and I listened to all of the questions then I would be able to get a good number right and I knew I could do well if I executed the plan properly," he told ABC News.

President Barack Obama taped a video message congratulating the participants and asked them to answer what city hosted the Nuclear Security Summit he attended this March. Nine out of 10 contestants in the finals answered correctly with Seoul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Competitiveness, climate, security Finn’s priorities Ministry of Finance release Finnish road map of EU presidency. Finland i...